The commissioning of the two micro hydel sets having capacities of 100 KW and 56 KW at Leimakhong in 1930 by the then Manipur State HE Board marked the beginning of the use of electricity in Manipur. The Royal palace and main areas of Imphal Town enjoyed Electricity generated from this captive hydel station. During the World War-II, two more DG sets of 62 KW and 46 KW capacities were installed at the old Imphal Power House by the Armed Forces for electrification of Imphal town and its suburbs. The above installed capacity remained the same till the end of the first Five Year plan (1951-56) of the post independence period. The second Five Year Plan (1956-61) however, saw a significant change in the demand of power in the state. The demand had been growing rapidly envisaging more social acceptance and the gradual promotion of awareness of the people towards the use of electricity for different purposes. This had necessitated further addition in the generation capacity and it was accomplished with the installation of a few more DG sets of various capacities in and around Imphal.
To evacuate the power generated from the captive micro hydel power station (100 + 56) KW at Leimakhong to specific load centres of Palace Compound and main bazaar area of Imphal, the 20 Km. long, 11 KV line between Imphal & Leimakhong was constructed for the first time in Manipur in 1930. The state was then having 26 Kms. of 11 KV lines and 45 Kms. of domestic lines to serve very few consumers in 7 villages/Leikais. Both the line and generating stations were owned by the then Manipur State HE Board, constituted under the ex-officio Chairmanship of the Political Agent. Subsequently Electricity was kept under the administrative control of the Public Works Department, Government of Manipur. It was separated from state PWD and started functioning as an independent Department since February 1970.
The peak load demand of Manipur in 1971 was 3.6 MW only as the power supply is restricted to few select locations. The demand was met from the State’s own generating stations and power purchased from the neighbouring states/Electricity Board at the low voltage. The per capita consumption of energy was 4.84 KWh. The demand was kept suppressed due to lack of generation till the year 1980. The scenario was abruptly changed after the purchase of bulk power from Assam with the commissioning of 132 kV inter-state transmission line from Imphal to Dimapur and 6.3 MVA, 132/33 KV sub-station at Yurembam in December 1981. The situation was further alleviated with the commissioning of Loktak Hydro Electric Project having a capacity of 3×35 MW on 4th of August 1984.
During the years from 1984 to 1996, a number of Central Sector Power Projects, mostly hydel projects in the North Eastern Region were commissioned. Every project has a share of about 7% for Manipur. The state was having adequate quantity of power during the rainy seasons from these projects. The situation is different during the dry lean season of every year. However with the commissioning of 400 kV Silchar to Imphal D/C Transmission Line (charged at 132kV) in March 2014 and availability of additional power from newly commissioned Central Power Generating Units such as Pallatana and power exchange markets, the state was able to draw sufficient power from outside the state. At present the consumers are getting almost 20-24 hrs. of power supply daily.